Thursday, September 23, 2010

Circuit Rant

I am a bit irritable.

Let's blame it on PMS and leave it at that.

Today's rant is about that(those) member(s) who feel it's their job to be the Circuit Police.

It is an issue between members and between members and circuit coaches.

You know who they are.
They monitor YOUR workout.
They don't say much until the end of their workout or your workout.

But when they do:

"Aren't you done yet?"
"Did you skip some machines?"
"How many times are you going around?"
"How many times a week do you workout?"
"What do you do when you aren't at Curves?  You must be doing something else..."

I don't workout on my shift anymore, unless it is at 6am.  My workouts are intense, so I can't jump off and answer the phone without sounding like a heavy breather.  

I can't greet walk-ins without sweat dripping down my face.

I can't address member issues in that condition.

Oh, and my heart doesn't like going from 80% to an immediate stop to fill out a travel pass.

My workouts are EXTREMELY important to me, so I workout before or after my shift.

It is MY time.

Recently, I quit going.  I wasn't "allowed" to get my workout it because of the Circuit Police.  I don't mind a little bit of chit-chat, but the questions about what I was doing were irritating.  I was on the circuit!!  I do the same thing everyone else on the circuit does!  The only thing different is the INTENSITY.  My goals are different from some and they must be respected.  Just like Mary Lou and Agnes who come in and talk about Bunco/Book Club/Basket Weaving, whose only goal is to maintain their fitness level and be social.  That is great. But THAT AIN'T ME.


I will say something on my shift as a Circuit Coach.  I will remind them to increase their effort, watch their form, chat on the recovery boards......


But when I am on the circuit working out, I worry about MY WORKOUT.  It is MY TIME.  The Circuit Coach on duty can answer any question, field any trouble, correct any poor form.  I am not looking at anyone's intensity.  I am working towards MY PERSONAL GOAL at that time.  I accept correction on the machines from the Circuit Coach on duty, and I allow her to use me as an example on form and intensity.  It's all good.....


But please.....on your way out, keep the comments encouraging.  Don't worry about why I do what I do on the circuit.  You can see the results.  Maybe I have a medical condition?  Lot's of the ladies do a WHOLE LOT LESS *because of a medical issue*.  Perhaps I push it because I have a "dr.s note" to do more?


I would like to thank these ladies for encouraging me on the circuit:


Gerrie
Grace
Michelle
Linda
Jan
Krissy
Lynn
Lera
Martha


I love you all.  I am here for you. But PLEASE let your Circuit Coaches get their workouts in without criticism.  Okay?  And let OTHER MEMBERS worry about their workout.  You worry about yours.  Maybe Gertrude had to cut it short because her husband is sick.  Maybe Alice lost track of where she started because she is going through a divorce and has that on her mind and happened to go a couple of machines extra.  We are all on a NEED TO KNOW BASIS....sometimes we just do not need to know.


We are stronger TOGETHER.
Let's not pick each other apart.  That happens enough OUTSIDE the club.


See you in the circuit.







No comments:

Post a Comment