Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Surviving Cinco de Mayo

 Phase 1
Day 4

Another LOOOOOOOONG day.

Again I was awake before the alarm went of, and while I felt fine at the beginning of the day, by 2pm I was a ZOMBIEThis is my "week", so my fatigue makes since to me now...yeay..perimenopausal AND monthly cramping...God definitely has a sense of humor!

Jen came in early this morning for her workout.  This woman is AMAZING.  Not only does she care for her family and help her daughter with HER little girl, she is in school...I believe Psychology?  Jen if you are reading this, correct me if I am wrong:-)  As she was walking out she was telling me all she had to do...INCLUDING cooking for Cinco de May.....

CINCO DE MAYO?!?!?!?!
The date had TOTALLY slipped my mind!  For years me and the family have celebrated.  It started as a cultural study while we were homeschooling EONS ago...we made a huge deal out of each foreign holiday we studied.  Cinco de Mayo was our favorite!  We would spend the day preparing: loading Mariachi music in the stereo, preparing our favorite Mexican dishes like enchiladas and tacos, making beautiful tissue paper flowers and paper lanterns!  We would invite family over to celebrate with us....

Our celebrations got smaller as the children got older, but they still looked forward to traditional "taco feed"....and the piece de reisitance?  

FRIED ICE CREAM
As busy as we've been, surely it had slipped their minds too....I sighed a breath of relief.  My cellphone chimed that I had a message: a text from my oldest from work "IT'S CINCO DE MAYO!!!  Enchiladas for dinner?"

Lord help me!
Believe it or not I pulled the menu together.  They had chimichangas...fried burritos (I do it in the oven with MINIMAL oil)

Believe it or not I was able to stay true to Phase 1!  I measured out my protein, warmed 4 corn tortillas over the flame on the stove and added a huge salad and salsa!  It was amazing and I did not feel deprived at all!  I DID want that ice cream, but I just told myself "There is ice cream in your future...you don't have to have it tonight and jeopardize Phase1!"  

It is possible to do this with ANY meal.  You don't have to make two separate dinners for you and your family.  Find a middle ground!  Increase the servings of your favorite Curves Recipe!  My family LOVES the Comfort Chili and the Greek Pitas!  
We can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment